[Harp-L] Marine Band self improvements

Hi all,

I like Marine Bands. Grew up on them and seem to always go back to them.
but they do lack what some more consciously made brands have built into them
out  of the box. So here is what I have resorted to when I get a new stock
MB.

1. Take it apart.

2. Spray the comb lightly, 3-4 coats, a few hours apart, with  polyurethane
semi-gloss (mini-wax brand).

3. Rub the rounded edge of a  penny down each reed slot 5-6  times.

4. Gap the reeds and plink them with a saxophone 2 1/2 reed.

5, Curl the reeds up a bit with the sax reed and plink.

6. Raise up the the  back of the cover plates with a metal  3' crimp tool
($34 at home depot).  Can someone explain the benefit of  doing this. I do it
because I see the backs of custom harps raised up. Also the  pre war harps
have the back covers raised. . So I figured I would do it too. It  seems it
would allow the harp to project more sound? Hard for me to tell.

7. Put harp back together. I would use screws, but I am not there  yet.

My new harps are playing much better. Air tight, and much more responsive.
I just hope I am not taking any life expectancy away.

Any comments welcomed,

Chris Mastakas