Re: [Harp-L] Enough with the "amps vs. tone" already!

Gear discussions are great...  I read the Blues Harp Amps blog regularly.  I just get sick of when we CAN'T have a discussion about gear because we're busy being scolded about how the gear won't make us play better.
------Original Message------
From: bfrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
To: william.lifford@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Enough with the "amps vs. tone" already!
Sent: Jun 23, 2010 6:16 PM

i enjoy gear discussions.  if it's a thread i'm not interested in after some exploration, i just delete the responses. if a thread garners a lot of responses, maybe the group enjoys talking about it. if YOU don't, just do what i do... :)
i've learned some very important things about gear on harp-l: afb+, lone wolf delay, switching tubes, etc.
---- william.lifford@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Harp-L friends,
>
> This whole thread is exhausting for many of us.
>
> A couple of times a year, someone will post a question to the tune of "how can get a tone like so-and-so's using xyz mic and zyx amp," and the list comes alive with a million responses.
>
> Ninety percent of the responses say the same thing:  "the tone doesn't come from the amp, it comes from the player, blah blah blah." Over the next few days, the Tone Police continue to pile on, each with a variation of the same sentiment.
>
> Maybe we could have a couple of months moratorium on preachy blanket statements such as "the amp doesn't create tone; the player does" and all that other stuff...
>
>  I mean, we have guys "endorse" amps that they don't even own, along with all the commercial amp postings about which pro player is using this amp or that amp, etc.
>
> There is a conflict of interest here when members of the Tone Police (the ones who jump on the bandwagon and make all these preachy "good acoustic tone is all you need, not an expensive amp" statements)  also perpetuate the opposite notion...  that their botuique harp amp is the ultimate tone-generating machine.
>
> Just my two cents,
>
> Bill
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T