Re: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

I use a Sennheiser e906 for miking my Double Trouble FOH.  It is meant to be
drapped and therefore doesn't require using another stand.  IMO, the whole
big amp thing is about feel most the time.  Players are concerned with how
they hear and feel the music on stage.  A lot of guys also don't like
monitors or have feedback issues when trying to use them.  Often times, the
sound guy has no clue as how to work with harp.  You also have more direct
control over adjusting your sound.

If you have input as to the FOH sound, miking is totally the way to go.
What sounds bigger than a 4x10 trying to fill a room from stage?  A miked
amp being pumped through thousands of watts and 4x15 speakers (plus all the
other sound gear)...if miked and mixed well.

The only hold up for me is making sure my "small" amp isn't too small.  A
whole gig of 5w amp on the verge of exploding doesn't do it for me.  I need
to have an amp that lets me work with dynamics.  The DT ususally works well
for that.  It is nice to "feel" the power of a big amp, but with a full band
you lose some of that anyways.  The only other amp I would consider getting,
and probably will one day, is something with a few more watts and different
speakers.  I think the DT sounds amazing, but the 2x8 can get drowned out
for stage volume on a big stage.  The 8" speakers just don't throw well when
the whole band is playing.  On average to medium stages, the amp works
perfectly.

We had a CD release party in a huge room the other day.  The sound guy loves
us.  We started sound check with him adjusting monitors on stage.  Right
away he thought I was going to be too loud.  I told him to step off stage.
As soon as he did, he said the volume was fine.  The hot spot is so small,
even compared to my guitar player's Princeton Reverb (which is loud for a
"small" amp).  I had to go almost 100% with monitors as the DT was eaten
alive with the whole band - but again, it was a huge room.  It is the only
indoor stage we do where I ever have that need.

Mike Fugazzi
harmonica/vocals
NiteRail <http://www.niterail.com>
"Rock and Blues Ablaze"