Re: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

My acoustic duo, Hobo Mojo, opened up for a rock band this past Saturday
night at a fundraising dinner dance. 200 people in the crowd.  We set up the
Bose system and did our set from the dance floor in front of the stage while
they ate dinner. The response was very positive. Great set. The band came up
after to do the dance portion of the show. After the first set they asked me
to sit in with them for a few tunes. I plugged my beta-58 directly into the
PA via a "Blows Me Away" volume control add on module. I set the volume knob
at 3/4 and did a quick sound check. He added a little reverb and that
was it. When they called me up they gave me three songs w/ keys to be ready
to fly. Sweet Home Chicago, Roadhouse Blues and the "dreaded" Mustang Sally.
Personally I like Mustang Sally but I know many of you here have a problem
with it. I never have a problem with a packed dance floor no matter what
song I am playing and this dance floor was packed. This band was tight and
right. I proceeded to take them up a noticable notch and things really
cooked. I did backup and fills at the 3/4 volume and twisted it up full for
my solos. When it was over I got some very nice compliments from the band:
1)" they have been together for 15 years and have had many harp players sit
in. Nobody has ever come close to do what you did" 2) "how did you get that
amnazing tone straight through the PA".

Moral of story: If you can have it exactly your way thats great but when you
can't, keep it simple and let it rip. Your playing is much more important
than any other pieces of the puzzle. As long as you can be heard and you
play stuff worth hearing you will take care of business.

WB

--
Warren "Bee" Bachman
SPAH Publicity Director