[Harp-L] Re: Micing your amp

"I remember reading somewhere on line that placing your mic toward the side
 of the amp, pointing toward the center, about 6 to 8" away... This was
preferred  to prevent capturing that center high freq spike that's present
directly in the  center of the speaker...."

The above technique is more useful in a recording studio  where other
instruments/amplifiers won't intrude.  In that case it's  often nice to put one
mic close & another at a distance to capture  some room ambience, then mix
the two as it sounds  best.  Much better in a live setting to get the mic
close as  possible and pointed straight at the speaker.  Don't let the mic
actually touch the speaker grille.  Experiment with what part of the  speaker
cone the mic is pointed at, rim vs middle vs center can bear  different tones.
 Personal taste, specific amps & rooms have  a lot to do with what you will
select.  I usually prefer 3/4 out  towards the rim, but others will like a
different placement better.

An SM57 is designed for this purpose (and also to mic some types  of
instruments), the 58 has an additional pop filter which is  there for vocal use,
it will tend to smooth out the sound of an  amp.  I like the 57 better, I'd
rather create good sound than  smooth a harsher tone downstream with the mic.
 You can buy  better mic's, but those particular Shure's are very good for
most stage purposes.  Plus, you can beat the crap out of them &  they still
work ok.

Christopher Richards  -  Twin Tone Harmonica  Microphones