Re: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

In a message dated 02/03/2010 21:06:58 Malay Peninsula Standard Time,
samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  THEY all lug their big amps on tour that should tell
you how popular micing  a small amp is.

I've pretty well always giged with big amps. Back in the 60s... the PA
system might be a 100 Watt amp or less, but the lead guitar and the Fender Bass
 players were using 200 Watt Marshall tube amps, with two 4 x 12" stacks...

Then, using a small amp for harp wasn't an option. Mic'd or not!

Feed back from my harp amp has ALWAYS  been a problem. from  1967 till the
early '90s I went from a 50 Watt AC50, to a 100 Watt solid state  JMI Vox
Supreme, with two 2 x 12" cabs (Advertised at the time wrongly as "200
Watt")... I could NEVER use my Vox Supreme "flat out"... I used to stand behind
the speakers to reduce feedback.

It is FANTASTIC how modern technology has progressed, to give us harmonica
players so many more great options.

Mostly on live gigs, a good big amp is almost always better than a good
small one.

BUT for studio work... Not so!

Most big amps hum too much and are much too loud for the average  recording
studio.

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines