RE: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

Mic one speaker.  Follow instructions below.  Close micing the baffle will
give you a the tone of a baffle (wood) vibrating.  That can't be good.

Bernie

From: pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 12:29 AM
To: RhythmShark
Cc: sam Blancato; Harp-L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

Where would y'all recommend micing an amp that has twin speakers?  My
HarpGear 30 has twin 8s - the sound guy at my last gig stuck a 57 directly
between the two speaker edges - I didn't think it sounded good at all so I
moved it to the middle of one of the speakers. He seemed a bit miffed, but
whatever - I didn't like it.

As a general rule I always offer up to the sound guy that there is a line
out on my amp, but none of them ever want to use it, but yet they don't seem
to intuitively know where to place a mic - or they don't care.  I use to
have a single 12" speaker amp - also a HarpGear, and I knew where the sweet
spot was and I would always tell the sound guy  -most of them thanked me -
but the twin speaker thing has me perplexed.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Ross Macdonald