Re: [Harp-L] Epiphone Valve Junior

Over at Adam Gussow's Modern Blues Harmonica forum, Todd Greene has uploaded
several videos of his Epi Vjr combo amp with different preamp tubes,
comparing its tone to other amps such as the Kalamazoo Model 2.  The vids
are a great example of the tone you can expect from the Epiphone Valve Jr.
amp.

When played with a hot bullet mic, all EL84 amps share a distinctive gritty
sound in the upper mids.  Amps with a single EL84 power tube do this the
most (Epi Vjr, Kalamazoo 1 & 2, etc) , with the effect lessened in EL84 amps
with multiple power tubes (Fender Blues Jr and Pro Jr, etc).  I posted an
article to the Blues Harp Amps Blog that details the reasons for this.

In small 5-watt Class A amps, I prefer the tone of a 6V6 tube...  It is less
ratty and warmer.  But if you want more grit and a fuzz-tone quality, the
Epi Valve Jr combo amp is a good choice.  The Epiphone Valve Jr. Half Stack
-- with the separate cab with a 12-inch speaker -- sounds much bigger and
darker than the smaller combo amp, btw.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog