RE: [Harp-L] Individual reeds for Lee Oskar Harps

> Mike wrote: Anyone out there have a source for individual reeds for
> Lee Oscar Harps?. I have some to repair but can't justify buying the whole reed plate.
>
> To which someone replied: Are they worth it? Lee Oskar plates last so long that when one reed goes (a
> rare phenomenon) you might as well replace the plates............
>

> Not so. Let's not forget the hours it may have taken the owner to tweak his harp to play to his satisfaction. If you have a great harp it's
> mosty definitely worth replacing one reed.
> ron

That "someone" was me, Ron! :-) I have several Lee Oskars, at least two of which get a real hammering in my sessions, and they're still going strong with minimal interference under the covers from me (I didn't say none at all, but certainly not reed changes) after 5, 6, maybe 7 years. Maybe more, I seem to have lost track. I've been using Lee Oskars for many years (20 or more?) and I think I've changed reedplates maybe twice or three times in all that time. I have spare sets of plates at home that I bought when I used to fret about such things that have been gathering dust for at least ten years.  Given that length of service I really couldn't be bothered to try to change individual reeds, as I reckon that, by the time a reed goes south, there will probably be others getting near the ends of their lives. If there's anyone who plays Oskars who is blowing out reeds far more frequently than this I could suggest that their playing style needs a bit of work, and I'd still be telling them to change the plates, as an abusive style is hardly likely to affect just one reed. Still, as they say, no advice is good advice.  ;-)

Steve
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/