[Harp-L] Re: GM harps

Good point, smo-joe, didn't explain myself clearly: one reason the ca.
1998 yellow brass reeds were superior was that Hohner started the
milling near the reed base with smooth curves instead of right angles
on that generation of reeds.  Better milling there seems like the
prime route to longevity improvement (http://www.harp-l.org/pipermail/
harp-l/2006-August/msg00102.html is one place I'm on record about
that).

Beyond that, not using diagonal slashes for tuning would cure a small
remaining % of reed failures (think I've seen two failures there in
>100 reed repairs on my own & others' diatonics).  The diagonal
slashes also lead to other problems, like the burrs you mention or the
phenomenon of high reeds that go way up in pitch when you play them
harder.  I think they can make the reed flex in less of a straight
plane than it should.

I didn't say Hohner doesn't make a fine product--they do.  Their
quality control has improved, but their design decisions are sending
me elsewhere.  Ca. 1998, it looked like Hohner was intent on slamming
shut the door they'd left open for their competitors during the bad
years.  Said door is still ajar--