[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Harmonikids...Gary Alegretto. Pocketfull of Soul/March 11th Concert

I got this link through the Pocketful of Soul mailing. Have now read
through much of the information about Gary Alegretto and his project to
originally bring harmonica first to special-needs children, and now any kids
affected by disasters.

_http://www.harmonikids.org/projects/index.htm_
(http://www.harmonikids.org/projects/index.htm)

It reminds me of someone recently asking for 'help' here - specifically
requesting high end harmonicas for the 'children of Haiti'. It didn't ring
true...Richard Hunter called the writer on it.  I get the idea that Gary's
Harmonikids is THE group which is the real deal in bringing hope and music  to
kids devastated by these kinds of traumas, and deserving of help.

Hohner and the Ronald McDonald houses are listed as sponsors and ways for
individuals to contribute and/or get involved are found on the  site.

Here's a video of the kids playing along with Gary in December, 2005 (6
months after Katrina)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZmjgDCwH4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZmjgDCwH4)

 Gary Alegretto is throwing a benefit Concert at Harvelle's in Santa
Monica on March 11th for Haitian orphans. Opening the show will be a screening
of Pocketful of Soul (the movie). Following the screening at 9 PM some of Los
 Angeles' top harmonica-driven Blues acts will perform, including Jimmy Z,
JT  Ross, and Gary Allegretto. More prominent musical and celebrity guests
to be  announced. 100% of your tax-deductible donation at the door or on-line
will go  to Harmonikids mission. Donations may also be made at
_www.harmonikids.org_ (http://www.harmonikids.org) .

Harvelle's is located at:  1432 4th Street Santa Monica, CA  90401
Phone: 310-395-1676

This is good stuff....sure wish I could just zoom out to the West Coast
for the day.
If this isn't living up to the ideals of what Spah is supposed  to be
about,  nothing does.

Elizabeth
PS. Pocket Full of Soul recently won the Blues Foundation "Keeping the
Blues Alive Award".