Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking/tongue switching

Getting bends easier out of the left side is just a happy accident, I suspect. I don't find that much difference personally. Try to figure out what you're doing differently on the left side and then adapt it to the right side.

To get used to playing on the left side, try playing excluively from the left side - whole melodies, licks, riffs, scales or exercises. That way when you switch to the left side, you're switching to a place of assured experience and strength.

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com

Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

--- On Tue, 3/9/10, John F. Potts <hvyj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: John F. Potts <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking/tongue switching
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:20 AM

i can tongue block, but I've had a difficult time learning to tongue switch (play a single hole on the left of my mouth as easily as on the right).  I'm actually a mixed embouchure player and usually LP, but I've been trying to learn tongue switching for the exercise.

Anyway, after finally starting to get the hang of it, I discovered that's it a WHOLE LOT EASIER to get deep bends out of draw 2 and draw 3 opening up the left side of the mouth than it was from the right.  Maybe all you accomplished tongue blockers already knew this, but it was quite a discovery for me since the difference is so dramatic,  Live and learn.

FWIW.

JP