[Harp-L] overtones and harmony

In my unscientific, but thoughtful, comparisons of equal temperament harmonies on the harmonica, guitar and piano, I've noticed that the piano is sweet, the guitar is still OK, but the harmonica is harsh.  Specifically, I'm taking about a major third.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has seen any research on overtone series in the harmonica and what if anything would alter the situation to reduce the harshness of harmonies on equal temperament harmonicas.

For example, has there been any comparison of how longer vs shorter reeds, thicker plates, reeds tapering in thickness, etc, effect the overtones or harmonic 'sweetness'?

Doug H