[Harp-L] Re: Breaking Reeds (was Yellow Brass/GM)

John,
Thanks! I'm relieved to see you too have never broken a reed (I presume you mean while playing 'em, as distinct from tweakin 'em).

I've never had a reed break while playing, either, in almost 40 years of suckin' on harps,

Hohners (OTB Sp20's mostly) almost exclusively the whole time.  No blown
reeds - just a blown mind, almost blown ears and a couple blown
amps.

With all the Harp-L reports of sucking broken reeds I wondered if I was yet again an extreme statistical anomaly.  after all, I do play hard as called for.  Thus your and others' report is reassuring, I may be almost normal!  In this respect, anyway...

-Dave "Suck harps, not reeds" Fertig

PS: I may finally make it to Harpfest this year, we'll see!  if Whiteboy Walden can swim all the way from Cebu City,this white boy should be able to drive a couple hours from Pasadena, no?

Forwarded Message: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Yellow Brass (was GM)
        	Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:55 AM

            From:   MundHarp@xxxxxxx

        	To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

                I've been playing harmonica most of my life so far... And that is a long
time.
. . .
In so many years of playing, I have never had a reed break off... Perhaps
that is just "luck"...

How many folks on Harp-L HAVE had a reed break off?

I find that my harmonicas these days (mostly Hohners) last FAR longer than
they used to.

But is that because my technique has improved over the years. Or that
Hohner simply make better instruments now?

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines