Subject: [Harp-L] windsaver problem

Hi Ron:

Windsavers that are arcing up on a 2-3 year old chromatic are relatively
simple to curve back down by VERY gently smoothing (stroking) them over a
rounded surface such as an orange stick - which is how I do it...then
'pinching' them slightly longitudinally ....(Smokey/Michelle have talked about
this fairly recently here)...in order to help prevent  them re-curling.

 The valves are two-part...the top transparent layer is a very  thin
plastic material designed to act as a 'spring'.  For all sorts of  reasons I won't
go into here - (it's been covered ad infinitum) ...have  your friend do
some research/look in the archives, some valves stop covering the  reed
opening. If your friend lives in Florida the humidity could play a big  part.... a
'wet' player tends to have more problems than a dry player, and  so on...

I don't quite fathom the need to replace windsavers on such a new
chromatic, but it certainly behooves your friend to learn about his instrument  (as
it does any musician).

 No one should be afraid to open it up...take off the covers and  figure
out how it all works. Now if it was a Renny I might hesitate a wee  bit...but
a chromonica is easy...

If they truly are bent beyond salvageability...If Bill Romel's thermophore
valves are still available to purchase - I'd suggest your friend get a
packet or  two of them. I got mine while Bill was still alive and they came with
easy to  follow instructions.

BTW...while the covers are off (and there's no reason to remove the
mouthpiece for this kind of fix)...take the time to carefully clean whatever
needs cleaning. Just remind him to work carefully around the reeds/other  valves.

Good luck,

Elizabeth

"Message: 10