Re: [Harp-L] windsaver problem

On Mar 14, 2010, at 8:59 AM, captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

Elizabeth wrote:

Windsavers that are arcing up on a 2-3 year old chromatic are relatively simple to curve back down by VERY gently smoothing (stroking) them over a rounded surface such as an orange stick - which is how I do it...then 'pinching' them slightly longitudinally..... The valves are two-part...the top transparent layer is a very thin plastic material designed to act as a 'spring'.

Thanks! I almost wrote back asking what is an orange stick, but I asked my GF - she told me that it's a tool used on fingernail cuticles.
I certainly agree that it behooves everyone to learn to maintain theirinstruments. But this particular case the guy is an elderly gent, abeginner, and does not have a computer.
Question 1: Are ultra-suede valves also 2 part?

No Ronaldo..ultra suede is a fabric. You cut it with a rotary cutter (for best results). I always apply waterproofing to make it a little stiffer and iron it before I cut it.

Question 2 - Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done that can eliminate this arching in the future?

Not really. It's the heat from the breath and moisture that makes the plastic stuff curl. I remember we had the same problems back when the valves were leather. I am currently experimenting with compressed foam and something called Hypalon.

ron