Re: [Harp-L] Keyboard/Bass amps

Mike Fugazzi wrote:
<Ok, ok...I've been seriously considering a second amp...long story short...I
<am toying with the idea of getting a bass/keyboard amp.  I would use it
<either with the line out from another amp (effectively creating a stereo
<rig), BUT I like the idea of having a rock/effects rig too.  I have a small
<pedal board, but would look into something similar to a DigiTech or Line 6
<multi effects unit.  This would very much be the secondary use of the amp.
<
<So...
<
<Any good suggestions for a budget amp that has 50w or more, a 10" or 12",
<small foot print, and good volume?  Bonus if it tilts back.  I've seen
<several listed but those rigs were over $500 new and I am looking more like
<a couple hundred.  Thanks!

First, I recommend a keyboard amp, not a bass amp.  Bass amps don't put out a lot of high frequency information, but keyboard amps put out more than enough low frequencies for harmonica, even with a low octave doubler engaged.

The only amp I know of that meets your specs in terms of price and performance is the Behringer K450FX:
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-K450FX-45w-3-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp?sku=480784
I've never tried one, so I would strongly recommend checking the user reviews on harmony-central.com.  I do own a few pieces of Behringer gear, and in general I've been happy with the price/performance ratio.

The Peavey KB2 is a little more money, and meets your specs:
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-KB-2-4010W-1x10-3Channel-Keyboard-Amp?sku=703372

The Peavey KB3 is about $50 more, and has 60 watts and a 12" speaker. If you want to run a low octave doubler, that 12" speaker will come in handy.  Behringer also offers a more powerful amp with a 12" speaker for a little less than $300.

Both amps have a line out, which is very useful when you want to big up the sound by running it through a PA.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter