Re: [Harp-L] How does bending actually work? (the physics)

I am not a physicist, but here's what I think is happening:

There are three resonances interacting in an unvalved bend: the draw reed,
the blow reed and your mouth. As you lower the resonant frequency of your
mouth cavity, you force the draw reed to vibrate at a lower rate. (This is
what is happening on a single-reed bend on a valved harp.) As the pitch gets
lower, it gets closer to the resonant frequency of the blow reed, which
excites the reed and causes it to vibrate.

You can observe this sympathetic vibration effect on a string instrument. If
you play an 'A' or the low 'E' string of a guitar and watch closely, you can
see the open 'A' string vibrate along with it. In fact, if you stop the note
on the sixth string you'll continue to hear it from the still vibrating
fifth.

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com