[Harp-L] mic for acoustic playing

i carry 2 mics: My Shure 545 Ultimate for most situations and an Audix Fireball V I use when the music requires a more acoustic (or less electric) sound. But I ALWAYS cup the mic when i play, no matter what mic I'm using--i consider the mic to be an extension of my instrument.

While the Fireball has no proximity effect and does not overdrive when it is tightly cupped it is still a very responsive mic, In my experience the Fireball responds very nicely to a tight cup in its own way with a rich variation in sound due to the resonance chamber created by the cup around the mic element. It's not the sort of response you get from a 545 or SM 57 when you use a tight cup. But, although a Fireball stays clean, does not overdrive and has no proximity effect, I think it sounds pretty cool in the way it does respond to cupping variations. So, with all due respect to Greg, I do not consider it to be a mic that only sounds good in free air.

JP