Re: [Harp-L] Special 20 flat reed

Hi

Am Sonntag, 21. März 2010 schrieb Brian Irving:
> The 4 draw reed in a Special 20 in D major has gone flat (almost
>  down to D). Is it worth trying to tune in back up to E or is it
>  too far gone?  Also, what physically happens to a reed to make it
>  go flat?

The reed has a crack and will completely break if you plink it a
little, retuning is futile. If it goes slightly flat (a few cent)
retuning makes sense. I'm not sure what causes the flatness, but i
think it's a result of micofissures. The reed material becomes
structurally weakened.
In your case though, almost a halftone flat and still going flat, the
reed is gone.

--
Gruß,Frank