[Harp-L] 3 hole draw bends

A while ago there was some very brief discussion about how those who are throat players and do not use the tongue to bend can develop precision playing the three available draw bends in the 3 hole. Iceman, a distinguished instructor and accomplished player, has impressive success using certain tongue position techniques, but as effective as that may be, it doesn't help those of us that don't use the tongue to bend.

Well, I've finally come up with an excercise that's helping me train my ear and my throat to get it right. "I'm a Man" is a well known Steve Winwood/Spencer Davis Group tune with a recognizable opening lick or head--the same lick is used on the bridge of "Comin' Home Baby." It is comprised of 4 notes descending in half steps and is easy to identify and remember by ear. It's also relatively easy to hear when it's being played correctly.

Of course, the unbent 3 hole draw and each of the three available bends in the 3 hole draw are each a half step apart. Learn to play the "I'm a Man Lick" (four descending half steps) accurately starting on 3 draw unbent and you start to develop controlled precision hitting the 3 draw bends. It's easy to hear when you're playing it correctly, since it's such a readily identifiable riff, and it's fun to practice since the riff sounds so cool if you are playing it right.

The toughest note for me to hit consistently on pitch is the 3 draw half step bend which requires more finesse (less breath pressure) than one might think. It's easier to play a blue third or a full step bend than it is to hit the half step accurately. But, anyway, this is how i've been occupying my spare time lately.

FWIW.

JP