Re: [Harp-L] Masterfull work by two singing front guys- harpme

SPAH should have these complete performances in their video archives. We used to sell the 2 VHS tape set of that amazing night (along with Carlos Del Junco's added from his Fri set) on the SPAH website - this was before dvd.

This show was well attended by the public, filling the ballroom with paid customers. What energy that was...

My favorite memory was three older black ladies who came back to the hotel on Saturday and wanted to know if Curtis Salgado had a gospel recording they could buy. They attended the Thur show and definitely heard GOSPEL influence that moved them in Curtis' performance.

This was the year that Steve Geiger and Jerry Portnoy showed up on their own dime because of the buzz and hang. They both performed as well. Jerry was hilarious when he was called on stage by Kim.

Another hat off to Curtis as being one of the good guys - He drove to Ferndale with me on Wed night to pass out flyers advertising this SPAH show - Rod Piazza was playing at the theater there. Before the doors opened, there was a big crowd lining the street. As I was handing out flyers to the waiting harmonica fans, one man read the line-up for SPAH and said "Wow. I've always wanted to see Curtis Salgado." I said, "Oh yeah?" and pulled Curtis over to him and said "Here ya go". The look on this guys face was priceless. Rod was hanging out back of the theater with Honey when we turned the corner. He also flipped out when he saw Curtis and invited us back stage. He called Curtis out to sing a number during his show - I'll tell ya, I never heard Curtis sound better.

Yes, Curtis is one of the good guys.

Perhaps 21st Century SPAH has an answer on this one?

Anybody know where the rest of those performances from
SPAH 1998 can be found?

Anybody know where the rest of those performances from
SPAH 1998 can be found?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter