[Harp-L] Recording (Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 79, Issue 49)

Trouble with hearing oneself on recording is that it becomes possible to focus on every mistake and imperfection. Most listeners will not notice many of these and are more likely to appreciate the musicality of the performance than the rightness of the technique.

I think it is important to be able to switch back and forth between hearing the musicality and hearing the technique. Trouble is that there are rules about the technique so it is reasonable easy to hear and discuss the techniques, there are fewer hard-and-fast rules about what works in terms of musicality, although almost everyone believes that as you improve technique musicality improves too.

But it is possible to have high technique and little musicality on occasion. Maybe you have been working for months to nail a really difficult passage in a classic tune, getting the bends just right etc. You are delighted with your perfect rendition of Juke or Whammer Jammer or whatever. Trouble is the audience is divided into those who have never heard the original so do not care and cannot tell how good you are and those who HAVE heard the original and, very often, will keep preferring it.

Can one have low technique and high musicality on the harmonica? There is a risk of kidding oneself about this and listening to recording is a lesson in where your weak spots are. For instance, before trying to play along and record with sequences and song files etc., I did not realise how terrible my timing was. After feeling bad about this for a while I decided to try harder but care less.

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley
http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley