[Harp-L] Re: music related charities

Starfish on Broadway  (Denver)

Brings mentally ill musicians into the studio and records their  work...
often along side of, or with backing tracks laid down by some  of the area's
top musicians such as Hazel Miller & Hohner  endorsee Dan Treanor.  Although
I can't put myself in the  category of a top musician I was privileged to
play  harmonica on a few of the most recent backing tracks, it was a
wonderful experience.

The recording process has proved to be incredibly  therapeutic for the
Starfish clients, over the years Starfish on  Broadway has taken 2 - 3 hundred
people off the streets and put  them back into productive lives.

CD's of these sessions are sold to raise funding.  Proceeds from CD  sales
go directly to co-pays for the medications needed by these people to  remain
stable, hold jobs, & live productive satisfying  lives.  Helping these
people via providing these needed  medications serves to keep them off the
streets and out of  hospitals and jails, which in turn dramatically reduces
street crime  and can save tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer funds  per
recipient each year.

The Starfish on Broadway Project was started around 20(?) years  ago by Dr.
David Babak, who played both sax & guitar.  His  selfless efforts for these
people have been nothing short of  miraculous.  Sadly, David passed away
early this  year.  He contracted Hep-C from some needle sticks while  helping
to hold down clients in psyche wards & ER's,  he then developed an
inoperable cancer in his abdomen.   David literally gave his life for this cause, he
was only 57 years  old.

Although in significant pain for the last year+ of his life I never  once
heard David complain.  He hoped to live to see the  completion of the latest
Starfish CD but was only able  to hold on long enough to finish the
tracking.  The  recordings are now being mixed & mastered, a CD  release party date
will be announced this summer when  all is ready.  Produced in a pro studio
(thank you Colorado  Sound), the end result should be of very good quality.

If you wish to attend the CD release party or want to donate to  this
program please contact me off list.  I don't read every harp-l post  & might not
see a reply here.  None of the committee members  takes a dime, it all goes
to the cause.  East coasters may  prefer to contact Jan Bidwell in New
Jersey.  Mother of our  own Jay Gaunt, she was a long time friend of David and
also a Starfish  committee member.

Christopher Richards
_bluzeharp@xxxxxxxx (mailto:bluzeharp@xxxxxxx)