[Harp-L] to buy new or to refurbish

Hello all:
Here's my question:
   Should I have my Hohner 280 serviced or buy a new Suzuki SCX-48 or Toots Mellow Tone?
Here are the details:
   My Hohner 280 is at least 15 years old.  Hasn't been played much.  I also have an even older 260.  both play OK but I'm dissatisfied with the tone.  Both sound kind of "thin" and are sluggish in their responsiveness, and are somewhat out of tune in places I think. (My only standard of comparison is my Seydel diatonics which, by comparison sound very rich and are very responsive.   Probably not a fair comparison... and that's why I'm writing.)
   I've read reviews of the 280 that sound as positive as those for the SCX-48 and the MellowTone, but I wonder if aging might have irreparable effects on the reeds?  Also, I don't want to shell out the bucks and not have a significant upgrade.
(BTW: I'm not attached to the extra range of the 280.  A smaller harp would be a plus)
thanks in advance for your responses.
Karl
PS: if you advise refurbishing, could you recommend someone?  I live in the Syracuse NY area.

Websites:   karlsperber.net

            kanjira.net