Subject: Re: [Harp-L] to buy new or to refurbish

Hi Karl:

My take on it is of course, very similar to Winslow's (since he's probably
one of the most knowledgeable posters here), but I'd like to add something.

First, a 'hardly used' chromatic isn't 'aged'. Fifteen years put away in
its box is practically new (to most chromatic players' minds) and actually
adds  some appeal to the instrument.  As long as it wasn't ruined (i.e.
exposed  to temperature extremes) during the time it was 'hardly played' and not
put away  wet, it's likely to be in fine shape requiring nothing more than a
general going  over, perhaps some wind-saver work, some gapping/tuning (to
your personal  preferences) and perhaps a cleaning. Most of this could be
done by you or a  competent harp tech.

I don't personally know of anyone in your area, but you've already been
recommended to one of the best: Mike Easton. You talk to him via email...if
you  agree on a price you mail it to him...he mails it back. I believe he's in
 Pa.

he's at: _www.harmonicarepair.com_ (http://www.harmonicarepair.com)   and
on  this list. There are others, I'm sure..but you did ask for a
recommendation.

Most problems I find in harmonicas which have been stored away, is that the
 person who stored it did play it a little at first, perhaps didn't realize
that  saliva and simply moisture from breath is sticky and can gum up the
windsavers...then when the chromatic is next played, didn't comprehend why
they  rattled or didn't move. Valves (windsavers) are easily cleaned or
replaced.  They're meant to be.

15 years or so ago, most players also weren't as aware of the importance of
 air-tightness with a chromatic. It can be as simple a matter as removing
the  cover plates, very gently wiping down the windsavers and replacing the
cover plates, weirdly enough...sometimes they're simply not on well. But do
NOT  overtighten...put them back on carefully, lining everything up as best
you  can.  There are videos showing this..I'd specifically refer you to a
Youtube video of Brendan Power showing this in closeup detail. Very easy to
follow.  I'm sure there are others...

IF the mouthpiece is sticking...occasionally it's screwed on too
tight..coming back a half-turn with a screwdriver can be surprisingly  effective to
free up the slide.

To me, it makes no sense (unless you have the money to burn) to buy a brand
 new (and very expensive) chromatic until you've figured out exactly  what
'sound' you want. There's still the possibility of playing both guitar and
harp together (if you're geared that way), a/la Enrico Granafei - who plays
the  hands-free chromatic. He also has jazz youtube videos (played at last
year's  GSHC Festival and at his Club Trumpets).

I'd suggest you have your two cleaned, tweaked, and tuned...play them for a
 bit  (many great jazz chromatic players DO play the 280 exclusively just
so  you realize that there's probably nothing wrong with your 280 other than
perhaps  a little air leakiness...e.g. if it has a wood comb and there's a
crack in the  comb - there's your answer...but the 'tone' isn't going to be
found in the  instrument), then decide if you need to purchase an amp, mic,
other gear to  emphasize your sound and to record yourself.  Amps don't have
to be  expensive at all...I have a tiny mini-twin Fender for my own home use.

Perhaps you're comparing your sound to that which you hear on  other
players' videos...which is impossible. Some are using gear you don't have,  some
simply have 'tone to die for'....and that's something you won't find in a
$500+ chromatic.

Suzuki does make some stunning chromatics...but before I bought one, or a
Toots hard bopper, I'd make sure I knew which instrument 'fit' me properly.

As a diatonic player who plays Seydels (I also like the Seydel chromatic),
you might actually like the Hohner CX-12 series for jazz...(I play those as
well  as the Hohner Super 64 - the equivalent of your 280 and love them
both, but it  took me a while to decide). I've maintained for some time that
the Cx-12  chromatic should be THE chromatic of choice for diatonic players
adding chroms  to their arsenal...since the tone is so bluesy/jazzy and they
come in different  keys, which I happen to like to play. I probably play my
Key of A CX-12 more  often than any other.

BTW I also have several 280's and find them to be very nice instruments. I
just prefer the mouthpieces of the Super 64 and the CX-12 for me. It comes
down  to personal choice.

If you have the opportunity to go to SPAH or to come to the GSHC festival
(held in New Jersey) in November, reps from some of these harmonica
manufacturers will be there with a ton of their products in tow which you  can get
to try out before buying the instruments...sometimes ordinary people  like
me even allow others to try their instruments (with thorough cleaning  before
and after, of course). ;)

Elizabeth

"Hello all:
> Here's my question:
>    Should I have  my Hohner 280 serviced or buy a new Suzuki SCX-48 or
Toots Mellow Tone?
>  Here are the details:
>    My Hohner 280 is at least 15 years  old.  Hasn't been played much.  I
also have an even older 260.   both play OK but I'm dissatisfied with the
tone.  Both sound kind of "thin"  and are sluggish in their responsiveness,
and are somewhat out of tune in places  I think. (My only standard of c
omparison is my Seydel diatonics which, by  comparison sound very rich and are very
responsive.   Probably  not a fair comparison... and that's why I'm
writing.)

I've read reviews of the 280 that sound as positive as those for the
SCX-48 and the MellowTone, but I wonder if aging might have irreparable effects
on the reeds?  Also, I don't want to shell out the bucks and not have a
significant upgrade.
> (BTW: I'm not attached to the extra range of the  280.  A smaller harp
would be a plus)
> thanks in advance for your  responses.
> Karl
> PS: if you advise refurbishing, could you  recommend someone?  I live in
the Syracuse NY area.
"
"Although I would categorize myself as a little beyond a beginner, maybe
borderline intermediate, I'm working on playing in the jazz style.  As for
"how much",That's a little hard to say.  My main instrument is  guitar.  the
harmonica, as much as I love playing it, will probably always  be a
secondary instrument for me.
Hope that helps.
Karl