Re: [Harp-L] Jam Format

I'm not really a "people person", so my slant is more control oriented.

Trying to please everyone never works. Take a firm hand and be proactive w/the jammers and the sets. Usually the opening 20 minutes are done by the jam host w/a decent experienced back up band. This begins the night on a controlled and professional note and sets the scene for what is to follow.

Sign up sheet works as long as you commit to it verbatim. Allowing low level "star" musicians to waltz in and bypass the sign in sheet creates hard feelings. Keep it democratic.

Jam sets should be 20 minutes long (usually equal to three songs). Try to keep the momentum moving with minimum (what do you wanna do? dunno, what do you wanna do? can you sing?) stuff.

Keep a FIRM HAND on VOLUME, even if it means cutting off an insane guitar player at the knees. Sometimes the jam host has to get tough.

Have back ground music ready to punch in as soon as the live music stops - this keeps a good atmosphere without that dead air effect. Keep down time to 5 - 10 minutes between jam sets. Sometimes you can announce the next set of jammers and then call out the following "on deck" musicians to be ready so you don't have to chase them down in the parking lot when their time comes.

It also doesn't hurt to have one of your steady house band musicians peppered into each jam set, to keep that free form out of control music from developing with a full stage of inexperienced jammers fumbling with each other.

and remember, lots of musicians may be very self involved as the night progresses, so try to stick to basic rules of etiquette and don't be afraid to enforce them.

the jam can really develop into something special if ground rules are established and boundaries are in place.