Subject: [Harp-L] recording youtube videos & Zoom Q3 video recorder

Hey Rosco...long time no see ...   I had no idea where you  were in any of
these videos! Finally figured out you might be the guy with  the cap in
silhouette playing the great harp. :)

While the sound quality was good, you have two choices: either to add a
heckuva lot more light to the stage so each one of you is illuminated, or my
preference - have a human behind the camera to film your band a lot closer
to  the stage using the telephoto capability to come in on each of you.  It's
never going to be as effective trying to capture the band in toto....the
distance is just too great. It puts you all just too far away for any impact.
 The camera needs to be down in front. It'll also improve the sound
quality..just  don't have it directly in front of a speaker or amp...

It's a lot more effective a technique to focus on individual
vocalists/players, especially if one uses the backlight on most cameras (in a  dimly lit
space). I'm no pro, but using a foot-high tripod on a stationary  surface as
well as judicious use of closeups has enabled me to get some  choice
footage of some of my favourite performances. Unfortunately for them I'm  still
far behind in my promise to dupe them to send out to the performers.

My latest videocamera (already 3-4 yrs old) uses mini dvd's, cost under
$400 new, is a Sony and has everything I think you're looking for. It's a Sony
 DCR-DVD 610. Has 40x Optical Zoom lens, and is considered a 'hybrid'
videocamera  since it uses either mini-dvd's or a memory stick. I'm sure it's
been  updated since then with even better applications. Does come with
something  called  'nightshot plus' which gives you better lighting in a dark room
such as in your band's performances.

(I just checked online...it can still be bought new for the mid-$250 range,
 and the updated version - the 650 (60x zoom - also Carl Zeiss lens) is
selling  for $249 through Amazon).

The mini dvd's are great (not as fragile as tapes), and I bought a device
which copies them to full-size dvd's (which can be played on any DVD player
as  well as in a computer). This also prevents the wear and tear on the
camera  caused by the mini-dv's (tapes). My aim was to dupe full-size copies
onto dvd's for the artists I'm filming. You might prefer simply downloading
straight to a computer via the memory stick (which has to be purchased
separately). I've had 3 cameras before this one and am very happy with the audio
quality of this Sony since I primarily use it at Spah or for JR&NB  shows/
other music performances. It has the best sound by far.

 I'm simply not very proficient technologically speaking,  although I also
have a Zoom audio recorder. Now if I could only figure out how  to work both
simultaneously, or learn how to edit, my  videos might be of far better
quality.  ;)

Elizabeth

"Message: 10