Re: [Harp-L] Fourth position-Coltrane

On Mar 28, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Jp Pagán wrote:

Just a point of order:

"Afro Blue" was composed and first recorded by Mongo Santamaria. Hey, don't want anyone to forget him, ya know?

--Jp

p.s. I take issue with the use of the term "repetitious," Smo... ;)

I know, I met Mongo in 1962. The location was Trader Vic's at the Caribe Hilton. I was in the navy at the time and was there with 3 other sailors. We had dinner and I had the Chateau Briand ala Ponce de Leon. I was joking around as how my last name in Spanish was Leon. Btw, Mongo's last name is Saint Mary in English. His big tune at the time was...I believe...Watermelon man. We talked with him on a break. Nice guy. When we went to pay our bill (which was hefty), it had been picked up by the Hilton.

Ok, repetitious is like .. da da da da-da da da da. da da da da da- da da da da, da da da da-da, da da da, da da da da-da. da da da

Your points and issue are noted, appreciated, understood, and I feel your passion. All I said was it's a hard tune to do a lot with, and I admire Jason for squeezing that much out of it. No biggie. :)
Jose Carlos Leone di San Marco