Re: [Harp-L] Fourth position-Coltrane

Ooooh, I forgot to say...it was only a 350 (mustang) NOT a cobra. 289 tri-power (341 horse). Tonight we had a girl sit in at the gig and she had a style that was very much like Cannonball's. She was even playing a Cannonball Alto. When I told her I thought she sounded like him, I was surprised to find that HE is the player she had studied the most intently. I always liked his style. Not too too bombastic. Sometimes pretty lush. Like a slightly more awake version of Stan Getz.

I'm not real big on flash bang grenade players, but some of them really grab me. Oh, and I made a mistake. The year I was at the Hilton in San Juan was 1963 (not 62). I havd been there several times. I did my navy time in the Caribe and saw a lot of the mambo kings. Somene told me Santamaria was from Ciudad Trujillo in the Dom Rep, but I think he may have been from Kooba. lol

smokey-joe

On Mar 29, 2010, at 1:26 AM, J D Hoskins wrote:

Crusin' around in a Shelby listening to Cannonball, Jimmy Smith, .... You may be old, but you've got class! JD
----- Original Message ----- From: "joe leone" <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "joe leone" <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Fourth position-Coltrane

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, THOMAS FIACCO <mx714@...> wrote:

> Your'e not saying it's better than Coltrane,are you?

Only inasmuch as it is being done on harp. I like sop-sax, but Coltrane's rendition is a wee bit slow (and pinchey). I used to have him on the 4 track (shows my age) SJB tape player I had in my Shelby. Cannonball Adderly, Hugh Masakela, Hubert Laws, Dorothy Ashby, Jimmy Smith. That kind of stuff.

smo-joe