Re: Subject: [Harp-L] recording youtube videos & Zoom Q3 video recorder

Rosco writes:

"Hey Elizabeth,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that's me at the left  (*stage left). Maybe
I'm like a vampire - I don't register on film."

Haha...sounds more like me. I'm so pale ('pale blue Scottish person'  in
Billy Connolly's vernacular) my physical therapist keeps suggesting  I should
get a blood donation, and people  drop pointed comments about why they
hardly see me during  the daytime <G>

I could, however - locate you by the sounds of your harp. Some newbies  to
harp-l may not know just how good a player you are. I remember a  particular
late night (last night of Spah a couple of years ago) sitting on  the lobby
floor of the hotel acoustic session between you, James Conway,  Cara Cooke
and a few others....PRIMO harmonica playing.

Your band's songs are excellent...and it's a shame not to have all of you
shown 'up close and personal'...

<_EGS1217@xxxxxxxx (mailto:EGS1217@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Hey Rosco...long time no see ...   I had no idea where you  were in any of
these videos! Finally figured out you might be the guy  with the cap in
silhouette playing the great harp.  :)

"Unfortunately, the band is usually at the mercy of  soundman/lightman
types who also often don't realize or care  there is a  harp player in the band!
:(  "

....interesting point. Usually people only mention the  soundman as the
main issue.

At the last GSHC Festival (2007.. before  it was cancelled then revived for
2009 by Val Redler & Phil  Caltabellotta) Stan Harper was so badly lit
onstage --almost no light  at all-- he was practically invisible as he played a
gorgeous version of Clair  de Lune. Danny G. videotaped him from the back of
the room but it's nearly  impossible to make him out. We knew where he was
only by the music emanating  from this one dark corner!  To that end, I've
seen advertising in  a music catalogue for portable, collapsible lights for
musicians to take on  the road.

Perhaps they'll become the next 'must have'  equipment, along with
amps/mics.

"I need to set up any camera/audio rig so that I can  start at the
beginning of the set and not think about it again."

Makes sense.

"I guess if we want decent videos for youtube, which  seems to be a
necessity these days, we'll probably have to hire the filming  out."

...hopefully, now that there's some awareness of your  needs, there might
be some volunteers who'll help out. You could always mention  it on your
band's website...Free tickets for the next performance for someone  who'll do
good video/audio?

Much good luck.  Your music is well worth getting up  on YouTube.

Elizabeth
PS: I'll reiterate your band websites:
 _www.maybeaugust.com_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)
_www.myspace.com/maybeaugust_ (http://www.myspace.com/maybeaugust)