[Harp-L] copyright issues and permission

Hi fellow harpers

I have been doing some recording recently and hope to be releasing a long overdue acoustic album soon. There are some classic blues on it such as KC Moan, Sun is Shining, etc. Also a cover of 'Ride that Train' from Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan, a Gary Primich number too. Tom Ball, perhaps you could answer this??

'The other half' the guitar player is panicking about copyright issues and thinks we need to pay to put these on an album. I know of countless blues outfits that release self funded albums and as long as they acknowledge the orginal source seem to get away with it. Can any of you advise me about this as the guitarist who makes playing his living and declares his earnings is worried about getting bitten on the ass later in life for us not going down the correct copyright channels etc.

We are only planning on selling these cds to get more work and at gigs, it was self funded.

cheers Tom C

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/