Quote:
From: "David Godman" <daveyg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Richard Hunter
Richard you said , A little known fact, but true, is that a .mov file is
basically an mepg file by a different name.
Yes you are right , though the Mov is a Quicktime file and is the same as
MP4 , where as the Mpegs 1,2,3, have a slightly different make up , due to
the Mov and Mp4  make up the Windows Movie maker codecs may have to be
updated and even if you do change the file name to an Mpeg file the Windows
Movie Maker will give you a message saying that it can`t recognise the file
type and may also say , cannot open file as too many codecs to fire from
etc.
This is why when working with different file types like Ouick time video and
Quick Time Movie files it is required that you re -encode it to Mpeg 1,2, or
3 or a Windows Media Video file to be able to view it in Windows Movie Maker
enviroment !.
Unquote

Thanks
Geoff Atkins