Re: [Harp-L] recording youtube videos & Zoom Q3 video Richard Hunter

"David Godman" wrote:
<Richard you said , A little known fact, but true, is that a .mov file is basically an mepg file by a different name.
Yes you are right , though the Mov is a Quicktime file and is the same as MP4 , where as the Mpegs 1,2,3, have a slightly different make up , due to the Mov and Mp4  make up the Windows Movie maker codecs may have to be updated and even if you do change the file name to an Mpeg file the Windows Movie Maker will give you a message saying that it can`t recognise the file type and may also say , cannot open file as too many codecs to fire from etc.
This is why when working with different file types like Ouick time video and Quick Time Movie files it is required that you re -encode it to Mpeg 1,2, or 3 or a Windows Media Video file to be able to view it in Windows Movie Maker enviroment !.

David,

This is contrary to my experience.  The videos on Youtube of my performances with Dance Currents and solo at Agassiz Theatre were provided to me as Mov files.  I changed the file type to mpeg, or mp4--don't remember which, but I could check the files on my other computer if necessary--and they worked right away in Windows Movie Maker, no error messages.  That's how I edited them for Youtube.

I'm not technically expert in these matters, but I know for sure that's how I did that job.

Thanks, RIchard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick