Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Suzuki diatonics available at Costco

> Is this a representative experience of the Folkmaster?

Not sure but I got one a while ago just to see what they are like. The
 Bluesmasters are nice out of the box, well priced and have full
length cover plates, which I greatly prefer, but I thought I'd see
what a Folkmaster was like.

In terms of reed playability, the Folkmaster (key of G) I got is one
of best out of the box harmonicas I've bought. Not sure why
particularly but will emboss and gap at some stage to see how much
better it will play. To practice customiziing, is one of the reasons I
got it in the first place.

The Folkmaster I have was assembled in China and has the reeds pinned
rather than welded.

> I´ve never seen them here in Sweden, but for the price i paid in the UK back then it´s a
> find. And if they´re to be had for 20 $ I´d run to the nearest Costco, whatever that is.

Costco is a well known membership required, big box, bulk buy,
retailer in the US and Canada. It sells both food and non-food items.
While competitive price awareness is necessary, many prices are at the
low end. Especially true with certain food items..

The Folkmaster I got about a year ago was $16 plus tax here in Canada
at my local full service music store. As I check the price online
today, it's less at CDN$15! Bluesmasters are $30.

I agree that the finish leaves something to be desired but with a
little elbow grease, I'm sure a nice instrument results.