Re: [Harp-L] FLAT!! But Maybe Not??

On Mar 31, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Chesper Nevins wrote:

I have resorted to carrying my digital tuner with me and try to get a
note from the band before playing (and get a reading on the tuner if
possible, without being too conspicuous).

Thank you for that suggestion. I will start putting my tuner in my compact gig kit.

Or at the very least, I play a note with someone from the group before
the tune to avoid any surprises.

I will do this on future occasions as opportunity permits.

I have decided in general that a 442 harp sounds good with instruments
tuned around 440, a 444 harp with instruments at 442, etc.

We're not talking a couple of hertz or cents, here. It sounded for all the world like I'd pulled the *wrong harp* out of the case. (Heavy squinting in dim light eliminated that as the problem, though.)

What a rotten feeling!

Yah!

I suppose you could also have tried any of your harps from the
audience (softly) while they were playing previous tunes just to
check.

In general, yes. On the occasion of the gig, I wasn't expecting to play. The band leader started his groove, then looked right at me and said, into the mic, "Is there a harmonica player in the house?" (Thank you, Guitar Mikey, Clarksdale, MS!)

I haven't really gotten as far as carrying a number of different harps
at 440, 442, 444, etc...

Hoo, boy!  :-)
E.