Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:01:22 -0400

From: Chesper Nevins <chespernevins@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [Harp-L] FLAT!! But Maybe Not??

To: Elizabeth Hess <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Cc: Harp-L <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>

I have resorted to carrying my digital tuner with me and try to get a

note from the band before playing (and get a reading on the tuner if

possible, without being too conspicuous).

That way I can at least correlate what my tuner says about the band,

what I know my harmonicas to be (442 or whatever), and the sound I

experience playing with the group.

Or at the very least, I play a note with someone from the group before

the tune to avoid any surprises.

I have decided in general that a 442 harp sounds good with instruments

tuned around 440, a 444 harp with instruments at 442, etc.

What a rotten feeling!

I suppose you could also have tried any of your harps from the

audience (softly) while they were playing previous tunes just to

check.

I haven't really gotten as far as carrying a number of different harps

at 440, 442, 444, etc...

------------------------------

Message: 11

On Mar 31, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Chesper Nevins wrote:

> I have resorted to carrying my digital tuner with me and try to get a

> note from the band before playing (and get a reading on the tuner if

> possible, without being too conspicuous).

Thank you for that suggestion.  I will start putting my tuner in my

compact gig kit.

> Or at the very least, I play a note with someone from the group before

> the tune to avoid any surprises.

I will do this on future occasions as opportunity permits.

> I have decided in general that a 442 harp sounds good with instruments

> tuned around 440, a 444 harp with instruments at 442, etc.

We're not talking a couple of hertz or cents, here.  It sounded for all

the world like I'd pulled the  *wrong harp*  out of the case.  (Heavy

squinting in dim light eliminated that as the problem, though.)

> What a rotten feeling!

Yah!

> I suppose you could also have tried any of your harps from the

> audience (softly) while they were playing previous tunes just to

> check.

In general, yes.  On the occasion of the gig, I wasn't expecting to

play.  The band leader started his groove, then looked right at me and

said, into the mic, "Is there a harmonica player in the house?"  (Thank

you, Guitar Mikey, Clarksdale, MS!)

> I haven't really gotten as far as carrying a number of different harps

> at 440, 442, 444, etc...

Hoo, boy!  :-)

E.

Message: 12