Re: [Harp-L] Celtic and American Fiddle tunes on the Harmonica by John Coster, 3rd Position

john coster wrote:
<Below is a set of two fiddle tunes, Maid Behind the Bar and The Ale is Dear.
<I sometimes play my own guitar accompaniment as is the case here. I do a lot
<harp playing in my song writer gigs, but really love the traditional music
<and am always on the look out for other players to listen to, so suggestions
<are welcome. I find the third position Dorian mode really useful for many of
<the best minor tunes and use it in many songs as well. I like the XB40s, but
<also use several kinds of chromatics and the Seydel 12 hole termolos. Also
<on the look out for reasonable repair people, particularly for the
<chromatics. It's such  bummer when one bad reed blows an expensive harp.
<
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fop9PZsQ4ws

Nice performance.  The harp is played very well, especially for a harp mounted on a rack.  Strong tone and rhythms.  The sound blends very well with the guitar.  I liked the way longer harp notes reach out and grab you every once in a while with a big tone and a little vibrato.  You could easily think this was two players if you were just listening instead of watching.

How about putting up some of the songwriter material?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick