From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 12:01:10
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; harptalk<harptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Fw: Pitch shifter/Octave doubler samples

Hi all, I sent the message below out over the weekend, and maybe it got missed.  Anyway, given that I put these together in direct response to a thread on harp-L, it would be great if someone would weigh in on what they hear in these samples--in particular, whether the full-on (99 percent) octave and double octave pitch shifts are workable as substitutes for real bari and bass harps.

I am sure, as per previous comment, that NO electronic emulation ever sounds exactly like the real thing.  So when I say "workable as substitutes", what I mean is: would you use those sounds on a gig?

In my opinion, the double octave pitch shift in particular is a perfectly respectable sound to roll out on a gig if you want a bass harp sound in a hurry (and don't have the dollars and years to spend acquiring a real bass harp and learning to play it).

Regards, Richard Hunter