Re: [Harp-L] overblows-overbends?

I'll take a stab at it--and don't mind being skewered in the quest for
clarity.---- How about an *Harmonica Dictionary*--wiki style or by
commitee?---

Overbends refer to overblows and overdraws as a group to distinguish them
from the "standard" draw bends on holes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 and blow bends on
holes 8, 9, and 10. Bends on valved harmonicas would be an additional kind
of bend. And, lastly, as far as I know, there are bends like those which
involve flattening a blow or draw reed's pitch--such as lowering the pitch
of hole 6 blow or hole 5 draw . So, an overblow is a type of overbend; an
overdraw is the other type of overbend. This is how I believe the term is
used.

There are people on the list who know far more than I do about the mechanics
involved with the various kinds of bends and have a better grasp of this
area; I hope they join in.

As for your 6 hole overblow sounding like an abused kitty, all I can say is
it takes time to develop a good tone on an overbend. Try to sustain the
note and then begin to shape it. Adjust the pitch, control the volume, and
try to add some vibrato.

Eric