Re: [Harp-L] The POWER of blocked TONE

The answer is fairly obvious. Most people do not walk into music stores and
purchase the most exotic version of the instrument they're interested in,
especially if it is a first-time purchase.

People also have preconceived ideas about what things are worth. Most
first-time harmonica purchasers think a harmonica ought to cost $10 at most --
and are utterly shocked that a production model diatonic can cost $100.

That's the purchaser's point of view -- I know a tiny bit about that since
I deal with beginning harmonica players in my group classes.

For the manufacturers' point of view: Hohner came out with what is arguably
the most advanced diatonic harmonica on the market: the XB-40. It is the
answer to most harmonica players dreams: it bends at least a half-step
blow/draw on every hole. Yet it is not a monster best-seller -- which it ought to
be. Proving innovation does not pay off. Several years earlier, the
Renaissance chromatic harmonica was released. Again, just what the chromatic players
had been crying for, for years. Yet they refused to see it as worth more
than a few hundred dollars (US) instead of its price of a few   thousand.

And my personal -- 20 years' worth -- observation, it that most harmonica
players are not musically adventurous. There are a few exceptions. But most
are not.

Also note, I would love to walk into a store and purchase a spiral-tuned
harmonica. I live in the suburban Detroit area -- and long before the state of
Michigan went into a depression, most music stores only carried a few
harmonicas (if you could find them under the dust layers) and we happy to sell
them at full price. The only place you're going to find a spiral tuning is
through a special order from Seydel or some customizer.

Hope this helps.
See you at SPAH.

Phil Lloyd