[Harp-L] Re: lo tuned harp: Harp-L Digest, Vol 81, Issue 36

Rice Miller definitely used a 12 hole marine band on Bye Bye Bird, at least the version that can be seen on youtube. I have one that I bought about 1970 and I also have some modern low tuned moothies by different manufacturers. The 12 hole marine band is a bit of a beast to play by modern standards and the sound is all "wrong" because it is not "properly" sealed, embossed, gapped etc. etc. However, to my ear the sort of breathy tone Sonny  Boy Williamson II got on his later recordings is partly due to the sound of that harp. It is not just the low notes, but the overall tone.

Richard

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley