[Harp-L] Re: Breaking in Harps

Steve Baker said:

For what it's worth:

my experience is that the harmonica reeds used on Hohner Classic
harps have always needed a certain amount of playing before they
respond optimally to my way of abusing them. Mainly I'm talking about
how opening reeds respond on bends and especially OBs. I try to avoid
playing a brand new harp full blast on stage without any prior use
and always play it through a bit before hitting it really hard. I
usually do this during the process of setting the harp up for my fine
tuning and offset requirements.

I find that overblow response then subsequently improves through
playing the harp for a while and assume this is not just because gunk
accrues on reed, slot and comb, thus increasing airtightness, but
also because the reeds become accustomed to functioning as opening
reeds. If I later clean the reed plate and comb, the overblow
response remains the same once it's gotten settled in as long as the
reed doesn't start to wear out. In the old Hohner factory, the master
craftsmen were insistent that that working a reed has an effect on
the crystalline structure of the metal and will tend to release some
of the tension it has accumulated while being rolled, milled, die
stamped and riveted.

In the past I've certainly damaged reeds by playing them at full
power straight out of the box and prefer to accustom them to their
fate more gently. Whether this indicates that "breaking in" extends
reed life per se is another matter in my opinion, but it certainly
seems to reduce the risk of early breakage and could explain why
harmonica manufacturers recommend taking it easy at first

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com

Would this be a good time to bring up the old discussion of Cryogenics, which to my understanding from the people that do it, addresses and solves the following:

In the old Hohner factory, the master
craftsmen were insistent that that working a reed has an effect on
the crystalline structure of the metal and will tend to release some
of the tension it has accumulated while being rolled, milled, die
stamped and riveted.

Steve Grimm of Dude Harps, and I experimented with this back in the 90s. but drew no conclusion.

Harvey Berman