However, I've noticed that some reedplate rivet holes, once you knock out the river, are a bit on the large side and won't easily hold a 00-90 thread. The next size up in the US system that's easily available os 0-80, which would require considerable enalrgement fo both reed hole and rivet hole. You might do some research on the inside and outside diameters of these two screw sizes (which you can easily find through Google) and then compare them with metric sizes. Find one  in metric that's just a bit bigger than 00-90 and then see if you can get the screws and the tap drills. US suppliers for both US and metric screw sizes include MicroMark and McMaster-Carr.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com

Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

--- On Sat, 5/29/10, Doug <mr4chnt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Doug <mr4chnt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] attaching reeds using screws
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 8:22 PM

I am having some reed plates custom made and intend to attach the new reeds with screws rather than rivets.  I have seen examples of small self-tapping screws being used but I want to tap the holes myself and use small machine screws, similar in size to the ones used to hold marine (and other harps) bands together.

I need to find out:

What size screws are those that are used on reed plates?

What is the next size smaller or is that too small?

What is the diameter of the typical (Hohner) rivet hole?  How do you measure that accurately?  Is there a special tool?

Where would I get a tap for threading the holes?

Etc, etc.

If any of you tech oriented folks has some answers, or some leads, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Doug H