Re: [Harp-L] lower mu tubes

That's why I prefer vintage 12AU7s.  They might have less 'gain' but provide
more 'power' because of their larger current.  Ohms - It's the Law!

Splash!

----- Original Message ----- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] getting high gain... no feedback

In some, unique circumstances, lower mu tubes can let you push the amp harder, but the idea that you are pushing the output harder is TOTAL BS, unless you are measuring a bigger output voltage at the speaker...even if you are, the softening of the sound can still mean that regular mu tubes kick out more sound. In most cases output will only be nominally different. Low mu tubes run lower plate voltages, which sound less harsh, they also bring down the SE distortion component (even order harmonics) which makes amps sound smoother...I'm not against their use, far from it, but they deliver a smaller signal to the power tubes, which in turn typically distort less at comparable power levels.