Re: [Harp-L] How many to do you bring...

I mostly carry a double set of diatonic harmonicas, two in each key, so if
one goes out of tune or jams up during a song I have a back up. I also have
a  few "low" tuned harps, plus a full set of 270 chromatics one in every
key; oh  yes, and one "Rennaissance" chromatic, in "C"

I like to be prepared.

Of course, it depends on the gig... If it's with a guitar based blues band,
 chances are that almost all songs will be in the keys of F, C, G, D, A, or
 E...

But if it's with a Gospel choir, the key will depend on the lead
vocalist... and keys like  F#' , C# , B... Or ANY KEY might be  required.

Again, if it's a jazz gig with brass section, Ab , Eb, ,Bb, F and C often
are needed the most.

I mostly play in 1st 2nd or 3rd position, so I select the appropriate harp
for the key of the tune.

Just checked my harp case... It (today) carries 41 harmonicas.
I like to mostly sort the instruments into line, in the "circle of fifths".

However, if I'm just going to sit in with a band for one or two tunes, I'll
 probably just take one set of 12 diatonics with me.

Many people have expressed interest in my harp kit, and I'm writing an
article about just that for "Blues Asia" magazine, and if and when it's
published I'll let you all know.

Best wishes,

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City