[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] what's the best embouchure?

I can only speak for myself, because I know of really good players of each persuasion. So I am answering this understanding that THE BEST embouchure is the one that works for ya.

Now, I play only tongue blocking. I probably do so because I learned that way and have never had occasion to change. I learned that way because someone told me that ALL the really good players use tongue blocking. (Untrue, of course.)

BTW, I was already a brass player before I learned harp. I sometimes wonder if pucker embouchure would have been more natural for me. Any other brass players to comment on that?

Tongue blocking has never stopped me or made it difficult for me to play whatever I can hear in my head. I can overblow (which I do rarely), play valved (which I mostly do), do rapid double and triple tonguing, and get a nice tone.

I have been told by a variety of people - whom I regard as very good players but nonetheless mistaken - that I can't tongue block and do rapid tonguing, can't overblow, etc. Another blow against orthodoxy!

I sincerely believe that if you want to play good harp, you are willing to practice, you are willing to really listen to yourself, you will develop the technique that you need/want using whatever embouchure is comfortable and works for you.

-LM