Re: [Harp-L] Women on harp

On Nov 20, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Harri Haka wrote:

I have wondered, regardless of genre, why there are so few female harmonica artists around. Is it because women have less breathing ability than men?

Hardly, women are built to handle TWO people at a time breathing wise. While their lungs may be smaller, they are certainly as efficient. Listen to Michal (Adler) Groenich...of the Adler trio. She certainly can handle harp.

Or is it just a tradition that the ladies sing and do other instruments?

Not exactly.

I know there are talented harmonica women but they are a minority. For comparison, there are many ladies who play guitar that have achieved worldwide respect. But as to harmonica, not many come to mind.

I think women conotate playing harmonica with hard times, sadness, melancholia, prison, hobo jungles down by the railroad yard, alcoholism, etc. And while some may go for that sort of thing, I don't think most DO.

In my opinion, it would add value to a talented vocalist's repertoire, if she played harp on some tunes.

We have a few of those. Elizabeth (tin lizzie) Hess is the newest inductee. lolol

Needs practice, of course. But I believe that if women can jump pole vault and play ice hockey, they should be able to play the harp too.
Harri