Re: [Harp-L] Why do we associate major with happy and minor with sad?

Michael,

I was thinking that it's because minor keys have more flats than major keys.

C D E F G A B resolving to a C major chord has only the F tension note
resolving down to the E.  The B resolves "up" to C, while the A is
pretty consonant with the C Major chord.

C D Eb F G Ab Bb resolving to a C Minor chord has Ab resolving to the
G, F resolving to the Eb, and Bb could optionally resolve down to G.
Even when the Bb resolves up to the C, it is not as "naturally
uplifting" as the B -> C of the major.

I just feel that in minor, there are more notes that have a tendency
to carry the "weight" of wanting to resolve downwards, giving us a
sadder feel.

Jason

http://myspace.com/jasonharmonica