[Harp-L] Reverse Engineering a Filikso

Ok guys I got a Filisko tonight, key of D. It definitely lives up to its
reputation. But I noticed several interesting things about it. Would love
any insight about this.

First, I noticed that there is a star stamped in the middle of the bottom
plate. I was under the impression that only pre-war harps had this star. The
plates looked brand new so maybe he stamps them?

2nd, no screws in the reed plates at all! just plain old nails.

3rd. He shapes the bottom plate so that it is closer at the high holes. I
have no clue how he does this. it's like the plate is on a downhill slope.

4th. He puts a screw at the front of the reed plates, no in the middle or
two like the deluxes.

5th. Gapping---did not impress me or match what I have learned. I flatten
the reed and curl up just the end. His were just straight flat with just a
slight gap--almost looked like factory gapping.

6th, there are two large holes at the end of each reed plate, like a deluxe,
but he does not use them.

7th, I heard he mills his own combs, but I could see nail holes in the comb,
appears to be original.

8th...most curious, I noticed a slight discoloration around the rivet end of
each reed. I scraped at it, it appears to be beeswax or some kind of resin.
It surrounds the rivet end and goes up a little bit to the bottom part of
the reed. It almost looks as if he puts the resin/wax down on the plate and
then puts the reeds on! Does he rivet his own reeds?

Lots of questions! Would love discussion on this.

--
Matthew Smart
Customer Service and Sales Manager

--